DiscoverTourGuides.com Safety Center
The safety and security of customers is very important to DiscoverTourGuides.com.
Even though all registered DiscoverTourGuides guides have confirmed they have a certification, license or training, we also need to be open to potential dangers.
When meeting new people for the first time it’s important to take basic safety steps i.e. ensure the meeting place is a public area such as a coffee shop, hotel lobby, etc. Do not disclose your personal accommodation details.
Purchase your Local Tour Guides time with confidence:
1. Tour guide user ratings - You can view tour guide ratings and comments received from previous customers only.
2. Unrated tour guides – For unrated tour guides please use the years of experience and past testimonials in your decision making process.
3. Pay Safe - You can use PayPal or secure credit card, a safe, easy and fast way to pay online.
4. Contact the tour guide - You may contact the tour guide directly and ask any questions you may have.
Always use caution when traveling. Bring up any concerns you have to your tour guide and remember that if you ever feel uncomfortable or unsafe you have the right to stop your tour at any time. You may request that your guide take you back to your original starting point whenever you like or you may choose to leave your tour guide and find your own transportation. Do not feel obligated to stay with your tour guide if you do not feel safe.
Additionally, note that there are a variety of tours that are offered and that each tour poses a different risk level. If you are going on a mountain biking tour you will of course have a higher risk of injury than if you are just walking around the city. Make sure you have adequate travel insurance especially if you are planning to take a more adventurous tour.
When traveling make sure to always follow these general safety guidelines:
• Check for travel warnings and alerts for the area you’ll be visiting
• Make sure you have valid emergency information and that you leave a copy of your itinerary with someone back home.
• Make copies of all your personal documents including you passport and ID.
• Research laws, realize that you are subject to local laws and conditions.
• Take precautionary measures, do not carry a lot of money with you or leave luggage unattended.
• When riding public transportation keep your valuables close to avoid becoming a victim of pickpocketing.
• Beware of overly friendly individuals, extremely helpful locals and vendors may be targeting you for pickpocketing.
• Essentially, follow your instincts and always use common sense.
Notice on High Risk Countries
Due to various and changing reasons such as political instability, high crime, terrorism and social unrest; certain countries around the world are deemed "High Risk" for travel.
DiscoverTourGuides strongly suggests group travel only in these countries and extra caution and due diligence if you do decide to visit a tour guide based in these countries.
This is not meant to be a complete list. Please conduct your own research also when determining risk when traveling e.g. via your government travel advisory information.
Recommended Resource - Red24
Sample List of higher risk countries:
- Central African Republic
- East Timor
- Ivory Coast
- Democratic Republic of the Congo